Birth Doula Services, CD(DONA)
As a birth doula, I accompany women in labor to help ensure a safe and satisfying birth experience. I respect a woman's unique relationship with her partner and work to strengthen that bond by supporting them as a laboring couple. I am trained and certified by DONA International, have given birth to two children, and have attended sixteen births since the summer of 2009. I draw on my professional training, knowledge and experience to provide emotional support, physical comfort, and advocacy with the staff to make sure you have the information you need to make informed decisions as they arise in labor. I can provide reassurance and perspective to you and your partner, before, during, and after the birth of your baby. I can make suggestions for labor progress, and help with relaxation, massage, positioning and other techniques for comfort. I am independent and self-employed. As your doula, I am working for you, not your caregiver or hospital.
The total fee for my doula services is $550. This fee includes:
- One to three prenatal visits to get to know each other; to explore and discuss your priorities, birth and post-partum plans; and plan how we will best work together throughout your labor, birth, and the immediate post-partum period.
- Continuous support throughout your labor.
- Immediate postpartum support for two to three hours after delivery and help with initiating breastfeeding.
- One postpartum follow-up visit in your home, within the first two weeks after your birth, to discuss your experience, any issues you may be having, and to admire your baby.
- Unlimited phone and email consultations.
- A written account of your birth.
- Photos-if desired and when possible.
What I ask of you:
- Open, honest communication from you and your partner. I promise the same.
- That you and your partner
attend a childbirth education class so that we can
work together from a common baseline of knowledge. A series
that covers natural childbirth and comfort measures is
preferable, but one of the weekend courses offered free by
most hospitals can work as well.
As a doula, I do not:
- Perform clinical tasks, such as blood pressure, fetal heart checks, vaginal exams, and others. I am there to provide physical comfort and emotional support only.
- Make decisions for you. I will help you get the information necessary to make an informed decision. I will also remind you if there is a departure from your birth plan.
- Speak to the staff on your behalf. I will discuss your concerns with you and suggest options, but you or your partner will speak directly to the clinical staff.
View or print my full contract